Soya chunk is a soya flour product, a by-product of extracting soybean oil. It is easy to cook, with a protein content equal to that of meat. These chunks are a wonderful option for vegetarians.
The nutritional values per 100 grams of soya chunks:
Energy value – 336 k Cal
Fat – 0.4 g
Iron – 21.2 mg
Protein – 54.2 g
Carbohydrate – 28.9 g
Calcium – 533 mg
1 cup Soya chunks
2 chopped onions
1 chopped tomato
2 sliced green chillies
4 garlic pods, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
Salt to taste
A pinch of turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon of chicken masala or garam masala
Rice bran oil ( or coconut oil)
- Soak the soya chunks in boiled water for about half an hour.
- Pour oil in a vessel and sauté the onions, green chillies, tomato, ginger, garlic and curry leaves.
- Drain out the water from soya chunks. Squeeze well and cut into small pieces.
- Put the squeezed soya chunks into the sautéed mixture.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chicken masala/ garam masala.
- Pour some water into it and let it cook for some time, with the lid on.
- When the water in the vessel dries up, remove the lid and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, biryani, chapatti or bread.