Purple yam (Kachil) is a tuberous root vegetable. It is also called white yam, Greater yam, Guyana arrow root, and ten-month yam. In some countries it is cultivated for medicinal uses.
Kachil puzhukku is a very easy and tasty recipe.
1 medium sized white yam
2 green chillies, each split into two
1 sprig curry leaf
2 garlic pods, chopped
1 small piece of ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon coconut oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the yam to remove the mud.
- Peel it and wash again.
- Cut it into small pieces.
- Keep a pan on heat.
- Transfer the white yam into the pan.
- Pour ½ cup of water.
- Add salt, chilli, curry leaves, chopped garlic and chopped ginger.
- Close it with a lid.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid and stir. It will be very soft, if cooked properly.
- Mash the pieces and add coconut oil.
- Mix properly.
- Serve hot.