When the stem of the plantain is cut after harvesting and the layers are peeled like that of an onion, we can see a cylindrical shaped white soft shoot. We call it as vaazhappindi, unnithandu, unnippindi etc.
Plantain shoot is rich in fibre and is a good remedy for avoiding constipation. It regulates bowel movement. The juice of plantain shoot is good for people having high blood pressure and those suffering from kidney stone (It is considered by the locals as a sure cure for blood pressure and kidney stone)
2 cups chopped plantain shoot
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaf
1 teaspoon rice
2 dried red chillies cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
Salt to taste
- Remove the outer thick shells covering the tender plantain shoot and discard them. Wash the shoot.
- Cut the plantain shoot into round pieces and chop them fine. Remove fibre that comes off while you cut into round pieces or you chop them.
- Transfer them into a bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil into it and gently mix with chopped pieces. It will help to remove the fibre present in it while you chop the shoot.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil. Put mustard seeds. Let it pop in the oil. Now add rice and stir till it becomes golden brown. Add curry leaves and red chilli and stir for 2 seconds.
- Add chopped plantain shoot into the pan, add salt and stir well. Close it with a lid. Stir occasionally.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid. If cooked properly, it will become soft. (Some shoots cooks fast)
- If cooked, reduce the flame and stir it so that water content if present, evaporates and it becomes dry.
- Now transfer it a bowl. It is ready to serve!